UK - Home Office announces temporary changes for job switchers

Home » UK Immigration News

30 November 2004

People holding a work permit who are changing employment will be able to start working for a new employer on the strength of the work permit permission letter granted to the new employer providing they have an existing leave to remain covering all or parts of the period of the new employment.

Individuals will then have to submit a further leave to remain application before their existing one expires, or within six months, whichever is sooner. As the employer's work permit will have been approved, and the individual will still have to submit a further leave to remain application, this does not undermine immigration controls in any way.

Following requests from customers, this new interim arrangement is in force as of November this year. However, the Home Office will be reviewing their decision around New Year.

The Home Office says it is aware of the problems caused for workers seeking to change employment due to long application processing times and therefore enforced these temporary changes

For more information about living and working in the UK, please visit our UK Work Permits page.